- 500 g lean beef mince
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 carrots grated
- 2 zucchini grated, excess moisture remove
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce or passata
- 2/3 cup low fat cheese grated
- 10 sheets filo pastry
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 200C and line two trays with baking paper. Squeeze out any excess liquid from the zucchini. Grate the cheese.
- Heat a non-stick frypan over medium heat and lightly spray with cooking oil. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When onion has cooled, place in a bowl and combine with mince, grated carrot, zucchini, passata and grated cheese. Combine well with hands.
- Take one sheet of filo, spray with cooking spray and place another sheet of filo on top. Repeat this process until you have 3 double sheets of pastry.
- Carefully cut each double sheet of filo widthwise to form 4 even rectangles per double sheet. You should end up with 12 long rectangles of pastry.
- Place some of the meat filling at the end of each of the pastry rectangles and roll up to enclose. Spray each roll lightly with cooking oil to help seal. Cut each of the rectangle rolls in half to form 24 rolls in total.
- Place the sausage rolls on prepared baking trays and cook for 20-25 minutes. They should be golden when cooked. Some liquid may come out of the rolls during cooking. If required turn the rolls over and bake for a further 5 – 10 minutes to crisp up the bottoms.
- Makes 24 sausage rolls, 4 rolls is 1 serve.
Recipe by: Beth Henke from The Healthy Mommy