Yields 12 medium-sized meatballs / frikadelle
- 300 grams lean minced meat
- ½ large onion, grated
- 2 large carrots grated
- 3 tablespoons dry oats
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Worcester sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chutney
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic (or more, according to taste)
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
- Dash of black pepper
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ml dried coriander or allspice
For the sauce:
- 1 tin (410 gram) of chopped tomatoes (or less if you prefer)
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ½ red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 garlic clove (or more, according to taste)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
- If available, fresh herbs such rosemary or oregano, chopped
- Start with the sauce, sauté the chopped onion in a non-stick pan until it starts to become soft. Add the red pepper strips.
- While they cook on their own; combine all the ingredients for the meatballs and form into 12 balls. Be gentle and do not over-handle the meat.
- Add a little oil to the onion and peppers and add the meatballs to the pan, brown them on both sides.
- Turn down the heat slightly and add the rest of the sauce ingredients.
- Cover the saucepan and let it simmer gently for about 15 minutes, until cooked.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
- Serve frikadelle warm as a main course, with rice, mash or pasta.