Makes 12 large muffins (1 per serving)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes
Preheat oven to 200°C
12-cup muffin pan, lightly greased or lined with paper cups
- 2 cups whole grain wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine bananas, egg, applesauce, sugar and oil. Stir into flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch and a tester inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
This recipe was created to use whole wheat flour and less oil than other recipes, making it higher in fibre and lower in fat.