All you need for this easy activity is a glass jar or bottle, some cotton wool balls and a bean!
- Stuff cotton wool balls into a glass jar.
- Simply stick one bean on either side of the jar so that you can watch 2 growing at once. (You can use butter beans that you can find in the dry food isle.)
- Next, water it until the cotton wool is damp but not too wet, and place the jar in a window.
- Within 2-3 days the bean will start to sprout a small root, and 2-3 days later it will grow little tendrils.
- Another 4-5 days and the bean will develop a large network of shoots coming off the main root, and a sturdy stem will grow straight upwards and above the top of the cotton wool.
- Just a day or so later and 2 big, dark green leaves will begin to unfurl.