Follow these 8 spell-tacular tips to improve your child’s spelling:
- Encourage your child to read more. Let them read books, magazine articles, and online pieces on topics they enjoy – anything to help with their language skills. Reading will have a positive effect on their spelling.
- Word games like Scrabble, word searches, hangman or word jumble will make spelling fun!
- Let them be the teacher and correct the spelling in a body of text.
- Use mnemonics or memory tricks to help your child remember tricky words for example: BECAUSE is Big Elephants Can Always Understand Small Elephants or cOULD, wOULD, shOULD is for O U Lucky Duck.
- Encourage writing activities. Let your little one keep a journal or let them write letters to their friends or grandparents.
- Have a spelling bee at home and let everyone participate.
- Make flashcards for words your child struggles with.
- Practice, practice, practice!
Remember to correct mistakes positively – don’t make fun of mistakes.