Salt dough ornaments are the perfect Christmas craft and activity to do with your kids. Make them to give as gifts or simply to hang on your own tree.
You will need:
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 cup Salt
- 1 ½ cups warm Water (maybe a little more)
- Acrylic Paint
- Clear Glue
- Ribbon or twine
- Clear glaze spray (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Slowly add the warm water while stirring. When the dough is too hard to stir with a spoon, use your hands. When the dough comes together, keep kneading for a few minutes until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Once you are done kneading, roll out the dough until about ½ cm thick.
- Evenly press your little one’s hand in the dough. Cut around the handprint with a butter knife.
- Using a straw, make a hole in the top of the ornament where you would like the twine to hang.
- Bake for 1-2 hours at 100°C, in a pre-heated oven. If your ornaments are not completely dried through when you pull them out, put them back in for another hour or until dry. The baking time will vary greatly depending on the size and thickness of your ornaments.
- Once the ornaments have cooled, you can paint and decorate them. If you want the ornaments to last a while, seal the ornament with a clear glaze spray.
- String up the ornaments using ribbon or twine, and then put those beautiful new ornaments on your Christmas tree!